Mrs. Pelosi also said Sunday that in the long run, the “enhancement for unemployment insurance should relate to the rate of unemployment,” suggesting that the $600 benefit could be wound down but only once the economy was on firmer footing.
According to a recent opinion article in the Wall Street Journal, with Congress saying no, Stephen Moore falls on Trump to declare an “economic emergency and announce that the Internal Revenue Service will immediately stop collecting the payroll tax”
Dueling speeches on the Senate floor today appeared to be aimed at setting up political blame as Congress remained on the cusp of failure to reach a deal as expanded jobless benefits for some 20 millions Americans were poised to expire Friday.
Despite some frantic negotiations between the White House and Democrats, there is no deal in sight at the moment. It’s time to start preparing now.
Even if benefits extended in full today, we are now looking at a 2 week or more lapse in unemployment benefits. States have already prepared their systems to cut off the enhanced benefits = the federal booster (on top of state UI benefits which remain as-is).
1. President Trump suggests delaying the November general election.
2. U.S. economy contracted at fastest quarterly rate on record from April to June as coronavirus walloped workers, businesses Data released by the Commerce Department on Thursday is another reminder of the pain felt this year as the nation went into an economic shutdown.
3. Unemployment claims increasing over the past few weeks.
The White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany just confirmed the Washington Post story that the President is willing to sign a second stimulus bill without the liability shield.
She said Trump is focused on unemployment benefits, it is up to the Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell if he will hold or up not, about unemployment benefits extension.
State offices will need weeks to reprogram their systems to account for an extension of the $600 weekly federal payments that expire on Saturday.
Tens of millions of laid-off American workers will go weeks without federal jobless aid — because the government has not renewed the benefits in time for overwhelmed state unemployment systems to adjust their computers.
– When you sell a capital asset for more than you purchased it, the result is a capital gain.
– Short-term capital gains result from selling capital assets owned for one year or less.
– Long-term capital gains result from selling capital assets owned for more than one year.
1. Total negotiation standstill
2. Need for urgency from the federal reserve chairman
3. Resistance within the republican party
4. President and senate majority leader want a deal
5. Alternative unemployment insurance proposal from Mitt Romney
Emerging from a three-hour meeting with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said they had the most productive discussion yet, although they had not yet struck a deal.
The New York Democrat then proceeded to try again to pass the Heroes Act, which Republicans blocked.
Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Schumer will meet at 8 p.m. Thursday evening with White House chief of staff Mark Meadows and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, for the fourth day in a row.
Portman was also asked about his thoughts on the liability protection component of the GOP bill, and he responded by saying that liability protection against frivolous lawsuits was important for businesses, school teachers, healthcare, restaurants and non-profits.